The right siding can increase your home’s curb appeal, but it’s not just about looks. Siding also plays an important role providing exterior protection from the elements to keep your home’s structure and interior safe and comfortable. While cosmetic defects or even just a dated look may be an initial cue for a siding upgrade, there are other signs that should grab your attention, too.
Siding Life Expectancy
The average life of siding varies depending on material used:
Wood siding: 10 to 100 years
Vinyl siding: 50 years
Aluminum siding: 20 to 50 years
Steel siding: 50 years to life
Routine maintenance also affects how long your siding will last. While vinyl siding requires relatively low upkeep beyond regular cleaning, wood siding needs more attention with painting and controlling moisture.
5 Signs You Need New Siding
The siding’s age can be easy indicator of whether or not you it needs to be replaced, but it’s not the only one. Give your exterior a once over with the following tips in mind to determine if your home’s facade is in need of a facelift.
- Damage: If your siding is damaged–that includes, rot, cracks, gaps, chipping, warping, bulges, and denting–it’s time to replace either the problem pieces or the entire exterior. This damage may be due to age, but don’t overlook environmental factors such as hail and wildlife activity. Whatever the cause, damaged siding can lead to bigger home issues if not addressed quickly.
- Fading: Faded vinyl siding isn’t just an aesthetic eyesore, it also might be a clue your siding isn’t performing as it should be. While painting it may be a cheaper alternative, over the long run, doing so could cost you more money (and time!) than replacing your old vinyl siding with new siding.
- Too much maintenance: If you have siding that eats up more time than you have to dedicate toward it, consider installing a siding option that requires less care. Doing so will not only reduce your stress but also provide you and your home with long-term protection.
- Interior: If you notice paint and wallpaper peeling on the interior of your home, your siding may be letting moisture penetrate the walls. New siding is a must to keep the structure of your home free of rot, mildew, and mold.
- Energy costs: The better insulated your home, the more your energy cost savings can be. If you notice that your heating and cooling costs have been inching up over time, adding insulation to your attic isn’t the only way to save some money. You can also choose a siding that provides insulation from exterior elements, as well as install a house wrap beneath the siding to act as an additional barrier from temperature and moisture.
North Shore Home Works Construction and Remodeling on Chicago’s North Shore
We are a one-stop shop and can handle all phases of repair and remodeling work, including both interior and exterior. From kitchens, bathrooms, and basements to roof replacement, siding and window installation – Count on us for any job, no matter how big or how small.
Transform your home from average to jaw-dropping.
Call us today at 847-409-5507 to set up your FREE CONSULTATION and FREE ESTIMATE. Or Email Us and tell us about your remodeling needs and we can walk you through the process.